Decorating your nursery is one of the funnest parts to pregnancy and is a great way for you and your partner to bond over baby. It also makes sense to decorate with your little one’s health in mind and safeguard them from common household toxins.
Here are some simple tips on creating a safe, natural nursery:
1. USE NON-TOXIC PAINTS – When it comes to paint always check with your local paint shop on the safest paint for baby. It also pays to paint the nursery well in advance of the arrival date of your little Here’s a great place to buy safe paint with one great benefit – they protect 1m2 of rain forest for every 1m2 that you paint!!
2. PLANTS – Put some plants in your nursery. Plants act as air purifiers and sweep toxins from the air, release oxygen, boost the rooms humidity and make your nursery look and feel great. The Spider Plant or a Boston Fern are great examples of plants with high air-purifying qualities.
3. UP-CYCLE – Up-cycling furniture has become super popular and is a great way to reuse and recycle that old chair or set of drawers from your spare room or mums place. Just remember if you are painting furniture to use non-toxic paint and paint well in advance.
4. GO ORGANIC – Using an organic mattress made from 100% natural materials is one of the best options for your baby. While they are a little more expensive than traditional mattresses, they are breathable, supportive and healthy for your baby. Organic mattresses are 100% safe, contain no toxic chemicals, electromagnetic stress or synthetic fibres. Top your organic mattress with an organic wool protector and other organic bedding options. INNATURE have some great options here.
5. HIMALAYAN SALT LAMPS – Aside from the fact they look stunning and let off just the right amount of light to nurse by, they have amazing health benefits for both you and baby. Himalayan salt is one of nature’s best natural negative ionisers. Negative ionisers are odourless, tasteless and invisible molecules that we inhale. Once in our bloodstream they are believed to produce biochemical reactions that increase serotonin levels, helping to settle baby better, calm baby and introduce a “positive vibe” to your nursery which is great for both you and bubs. We have some beautiful Himalayan salt lamps available in our retail store.
There are so many more natural options out there, research what is best for your family and get creative. Looking for some beautiful natural products for baby and me? Shop our Mother & Baby Range online.
- Jacynda Murray (Marketing Assistant & Designer)